Friday, August 7, 2009

A Month of Work

Just in case you are wondering....

Mike and I worked >300 hours (each) for the month of July!

Here is the tally:
  • 10 years of post-high school education
  • $200,000 of medical school debt (each) -thankfully we don't have undergraduate loans 
  • Currently working 80+ hour weeks, with 2-3 nights of overnight call
  • Salary divided by hours worked equals around $10/hour (I made $14/hour as a secretary in college)
The stats are sad, thinking about Obamacare is even sadder.  Lucky for us, we love our profession, we are just hoping that we have a profession and a choice in how we practice by the time we finish this ordeal.

And the public thinks doctors don't know how to sacrifice.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I have been listening to talk radio to and from work this week and the healthcare debate is really starting to get to me.  I may have to institute my old rule of not listening to the radio or I may need blood pressure medication.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Seeing the actual figures in writing (hours worked, money owed) is mind boggling. You have to be dedicated to take on that kind of debt and work those long hours. Hopefully Obamacare will get shot down.

Eric and Caralee said...

I also share your rant on "Obamacare" I certainly hope it doesn't pass..you two are awesome..best of luck and lots of energy to make it through the next few years!