Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Trip to Disney World


As one of my birthday presents, Michael bought tickets for Disney (one of my most favorite places).  My parents decided to give us two nights at the Grand Floridian (a Disney Hotel) as a graduation gift.  So, last Wednesday thru Friday we were in Orlando getting our fill of DisneyWorld.

The first day Mom came over and we went to Epcot.  The Flower & Garden festival was going on and we were hoping to see some pretty plants, but really only saw some interesting topiaries (pruned into the shapes of princesses, dwarfs, Mickey, etc).  We think there might have been more elaborate displays in the countries section of the park, but we never made it over there.

We rode some rides, I chickened out on a couple.  Mom had to endure the embarrassment of me asking to be let off Mission Space at the absolute last minute.  In my defense, the ride kept announcing if you have issues with motion sickness or being in small enclosed spaces, this ride is not for you (both of which I have).  I kept telling myself, "I can do this, I won't be such a baby".  But then we got on the ride, I saw how small the little compartment was and then saw the vomit bags and I knew I just couldn't do it. The worst part was an 8-year-old boy was on it with us and his father and HE stayed on no problems.  So, yes I am 27 years old and a bigger baby than an 8-year-old.

That evening, we met my sister Becca in Downtown Disney for dinner.  We ate at an Irish pub and then explored the Lego shop (Mike bought a kit for a Ferrari) and indulged ourselves in the Ghiradeli shop.  My mom drove home that evening and Mike and went to Hollywood Studios to ride the Aerosmith rollercoaster and Tower of Terror (Mike only, I chickened out).
A Lego dragon
Becca & me at dinner

The next day we did Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom and had a great time.  We also spent some time at the hotel pool, which was so nice.  We had to endure a lot of summer rain showers, but it was worth it for the trip.  
On Main Street

At Animal Kingdom
We were really hoping to take a trip to celebrate graduation and have some downtime before we start our internship, but our budget just couldn't afford much of anything.  We are so happy that we were able to get away, even if it was just a couple of days at Disney!

3 comments:

nathalia said...

Looks like you guys have had an awesome time down in FL with family and little trips here and there - beach AND Disney! That's great! You deserve all the celebrating. Congrats on graduating and good luck as the residency begins!

Stefanie Cross said...

Shelley, you look great, tan and all! I can't wait for you to one day take me to Disney WORLD, I have never been but it looks great! I don't blame you for chickening out, I would have been right there with you!

Mom said...

Disney was fun. I enjoyed the day that I got to spend with you two. Your Dad and I are glad that you enjoyed your graduation present. We know you, Shelley, are a Disney nut. Love you!