Monday, October 6, 2008

Processing the apples: Stage 1


To start using these 21 lbs of apples that we picked over the weekend, I baked an apple crumb pie this evening. Unfortunately, the pie only used up 2 apples. I need to make a lot more pies if I am going to put a dent in the stash. I am going to make apple cinnamon muffins tomorrow morning and then I think I will take the remaining for canning.

Here is the recipe for the pie I baked, its a variation on a recipe from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

APPLE CRUMB PIE

Filling:
3 cups peeled, cored, and finely sliced apples
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Crust:
I cheat and use Pillsbury Pie Crust (in the refrigerated section)--don't tell my grandmother

Crumb Topping:
2 c
all-purpose flour
1 c brown sugar, not packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks of chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place one pie crust in 9" pie plate, crimp the edges.

To prepare filling: Combine apples, flour, sugar and spices in a medium bowl. Stir to coat apples evening. Spoon filling into pie crust.

To prepare topping: Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter, combine flour mixture with butter pieces until mixture looks like coarse meal. Spoon topping onto apples.

Bake pie for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. After 10 minutes, reduce heat to 375 and continue to bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping in golden brown. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Casey said...

That pie looks great.

Mom said...

I wish I was there to try a piece or two. You'll have to make that next time we are in Philly. Love you, Mom