Thursday, October 2, 2008

Valley Forge

Yesterday Mike and I decided to tackle some of the things on our vacation "to do" list (yes, we are that Type A that we had to make a to-do list for our time off). We took our bikes up to Valley Forge, which is about 20 minutes from our house. Valley Forge is the site that George Washington and the Continental Army spent the winter after they had been defeated by the British in the battles of Philadelphia, Germantown, and Brandywine. The park has a paved trail that winds around all the historic spots of the area. There are also hiking paths that cut through the countryside. We decided to take a tour of the area on our bikes, so we stayed on the road that goes through the park.

It was such a beautiful ride. The weather was perfect for a bike ride: sunny and about 70 degrees. The road is very hilly, so this out of shape student had a hard time making the climbs. Especially when my husband (who thinks he is Lance Armstrong) trucks up them like they are nothing. But, because of my slowness, I was able to see many deer. I came upon one family grazing in a field. The parents had two young with them and they let me stop and watch them eat. It was awesome! I wish I would have known how nice it was going to be, I would have brought my camera.

We are planning on going back. We scheduled a trolley tour for this weekend (to do with Mom and Dad) and we want to go back to hike the trails. Its such a wonderful spot, both beautiful and historical.

No comments: