Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Processing the apples: Stage 2


Today I tackled the huge job of canning the apples. Mike helped me (thankfully) with the peeling, coring, and slicing job. That part took more time than I was originally thinking. If this is something that I want to do again, I need to invest in one of those contraptions that does all those steps for you.

So after the labor intensive part, I began the cooking. I had to make a syrup to boil the apples in, then boil the apples, then process the cans. Overall, it took me about 4 hours from start to finish, which wasn't too bad, since I was done by lunch. The apples look good and I can't wait to try them. The recipe I used says that these apples can be used for eating or for baking, so its versatile. I want to try to make my own applesauce, but that seems like a bigger task than this was, so I might put that one off until next year.

10 more cans for the food storage (or nuclear kitchen as my dad calls it)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wow, what a job that must have been. The picking was the easy part but the end result looks delicious. 21 lbs. was a lot of apples but it sure will look good in your "nuclear" kitchen.

Stefanie Cross said...

I am impressed! You guys always are doing something fun and innovative! I still need some cooking lessons ha ha I need them very badly.